To convert HEIC to JPG on Mac, you can use built-in tools like Preview, Photos, and Automator. Converting HEIC to JPG helps you share your photos with non-Apple users or on certain online platforms.
HEIC, Apple’s image format, offers high-quality photos in a smaller file size. However, due to its limited acceptance, converting to the more universally recognized JPG format is beneficial.
- JPG is widely accepted, ensuring your images can be viewed on almost any device or platform.
- Apple offers built-in conversion methods, like Preview, Photos, and Automator.
- Automator is a more advanced tool that can be set up for batch conversions, making it easy to convert multiple HEIC files at once.
- While JPG is more universally accepted, it might not retain image quality as well as HEIC, especially after multiple edits.
Have you heard of HEIC? It’s a cool way Apple saves pictures, but not everyone uses it. HEIC format stores high-quality images at nearly half the file size of JPG, but it just isn’t more universally accepted. So, sometimes, you may need to change those pictures to JPG, a more common format.
I’m here to show you some quick and easy ways to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac. This way, sharing your favorite memories will be a breeze, no matter what computer or platform your friends are using. Let’s dive in and make every picture shareable.
Before We Begin
When you have a bunch of images to convert from one format to another, dealing with duplicates can be a time-waster. To tackle this problem, use MacKeeper’s Duplicates Finder. It can help you maintain a clean and duplicate-free Mac in just a few clicks.
Why Convert a HEIC File to JPG?
Converting a HEIC file to JPG can be necessary for several reasons:
- 🌐 Compatibility: JPG is more widely supported across different platforms and devices. Converting to JPG ensures that almost any computer, smartphone, or web service can view and use your image.
- 🔄 Sharing and Printing: Sharing images with friends who don’t use Apple products or uploading pictures to certain websites might require a JPG format. Additionally, some printing services prefer JPG files for printing photos.
- ✂️ Editing: While many photo editing tools support HEIC, some older or simpler ones may only allow editing of JPG files.
- ☁️ Storage Flexibility: While HEIC files are smaller, not every service supports them for storage. Converting them to JPG offers more storage options and backing up your images.
Remember, while JPG is more universally accepted, it doesn’t retain the image quality as well as HEIC, especially after multiple edits. So, choosing the right format is essential for your needs!
Before You Start Converting HEIC to JPG
Before converting HEIC to JPG on Mac, it’s wise to do a bit of housekeeping—specifically, deleting duplicate images. Having duplicates can create confusion, consume unnecessary storage space, and make the conversion process longer and more cumbersome.
You can use MacKeeper’s Duplicates Finder to identify and remove duplicate images swiftly. Doing this ensures you only convert unique images, saving time and organizing your image library.
Here’s how to delete duplicate photos on your Mac using MacKeeper’s Duplicates Finder:
- Download and install MacKeeper on your Mac.
- Open MacKeeper on your Mac and click Duplicates Finder in the left sidebar.
- Click Start Scan.
- Select a folder in the left menu to review duplicate files before deletion.
- Alternatively, you can click Check All and tap the Remove Selected button to remove all duplicate files at once.
- Tap the Remove button on the pop-up to confirm the deletion.
- This will remove the selected files, and you’ll get a Removal Completed message. Click Finish to end the process.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
Converting HEIC to JPG on a Mac can be done using three built-in applications: Preview, Photos, and Automator. Each method offers a user-friendly approach to conversion. Below, I’ve shared the step buy step instructions to convert HEIC to JPG using all three methods.
1. With Preview
Preview is not just a tool to view your files, it also offers effective editing options, including the conversion of image file types. It eliminates the need to use third-party software to convert HEIC files on your Mac.
Below are the detailed steps to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac using Preview:
- Open the HEIC file with Preview.
- Click File in the menu bar and select Export.
- Choose JPEG as the output format and select the quality.
- Pick a destination, rename the file if needed, and click Save.
2. With Photos
Photos, Apple’s dedicated app for managing and editing your pictures is more than just a digital photo album. It can help you export images in different formats, providing a quick way to convert your HEIC files to JPG.
Let’s see how you can use the Photos app to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac:
- Search for Photos in the Spotlight Search.
- Open the Photos app and select the HEIC photo you want to convert.
- Click File in the menu bar, hover over Export, and choose Export 1 Photo.
- Select JPEG as the Photo Kind and click Export.
- Select a destination and click Export.
- The photo will be exported in JPEG format.
3. With Automator
Automator might seem daunting initially, but it’s a treasure trove for creating customized workflows, including converting HEIC images to JPG. By setting up a Quick Action, you can convert images with a simple right-click, saving time and effort.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to use Automator to effortlessly convert your HEIC files into accessible JPG images on Mac:
- Launch Automator by going to Finder > Applications > Automator.
- Open Automator and create a new document by clicking the New Document button.
- In the next window, choose Quick Action and click Choose.
- Next, set Workflow receives current to image files.
- In the Actions panel on the left, search for Change Type of Images and drag it to the workflow area.
- In the workflow area, set the image type to JPEG.
- Click File in the menu bar and select Save to save the Quick Action.
- Give the Quick Action a relevant name and click Save.
- Right-click a HEIC file, hover over Quick Actions, and select the action you just created (HEIC to JPEG in my case) to convert the image to JPG.
How to Batch Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
Batch converting is a nifty trick that allows you to convert many files at once, saving you time and clicks. Whether you’re looking to share a bunch of photos with friends or aiming to organize your digital albums, this technique can be a real game-changer.
Here’s how to batch convert HEIC to JPG on Mac:
- Open the folder with your HEIC files.
- Select all the files you want to convert by pressing Command ⌘ + A.
- Right-click the files and hover your mouse over Quick Actions in the context menu. Then, select Convert Image.
- A new window will appear. Select the file format (i.e. JPEG in this case), choose the image size, and click Convert to JPEG.
Convert and View Your Photos in JPG on Mac
Whether using the simplicity of Preview, the convenience of Photos, or the automation power of Automator, each method offers a unique way to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac. For those dealing with multiple files, the ability to batch convert is a golden nugget, ensuring efficiency and time-saving.
Here are some more tips for you:
- If you want to see image dimensions in Finder on Mac, you can do it via the Get Info function, column view, or preview pane.
- Taking a screenshot on Mac using keyboard shortcuts is a quick and easy way to capture your screen.
- Learning how to access iCloud photos on your Mac can help you organize your photos and prevent duplicates from piling up.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are HEIC images?
HEIC images are a file format introduced by Apple, used primarily for photos on iOS devices. This format is known for its high-quality image compression, retaining more detail and color information than traditional formats like JPG. This format keeps file sizes smaller, saving valuable storage space on devices.
How can I convert HEIC to JPG without software on a Mac?
You can convert HEIC to JPG without software on a Mac. To do that, you can use the Preview app to open the HEIC file, select Export from the File menu, choose JPEG as the format, and Save. You can also use the Photos app and Automator to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac.
Can you bulk change HEIC to JPG on Mac?
Yes, you can bulk change HEIC to JPG on Mac using various methods. On a Mac, Automator allows you to create a workflow to convert multiple images simultaneously. You can also use Quick Actions to batch-convert HEIC images, making the process quick and efficient.
Why are my photos HEIC instead of JPG on Mac?
Your photos may be in HEIC instead of JPG on Mac because it’s the default setting in iOS and macOS. HEIC offers better compression and higher image quality compared to JPG. If you prefer JPG, you can change the settings on your iOS device under Camera settings by selecting Most Compatible for image capture.