Are you tired of being bombarded with annoying ads while browsing the web on your Mac? Ads can be a major distraction and tarnish your browsing experience. They can slow your browsing speed, clutter your screen, and even track your online activity.
But with a few simple steps, you can block these ads and enjoy a cleaner, faster browsing experience on your Mac. In this post, I’ll share some quick and easy methods to block ads on Mac, including on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
Before We Begin
Ads can be a nuisance, especially when they interrupt our browsing experience or slow down our Macs. MacKeeper’s StopAd feature blocks all types of ads, including banner ads, pop-ups, video ads, and even social media ads. It uses advanced algorithms to detect and block ads in real-time, ensuring your browsing experience is seamless and ad-free.
Block Ads on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox Using MacKeeper
Mackeeper’s StopAd feature is a powerful ad-blocking tool that helps you eliminate annoying ads, pop-ups, and other unwanted content from your web browsing experience. This feature blocks a wide range of ads, including banner ads, video ads, pop-up ads, and more, helping you browse the web faster and more easily.
Here are the steps to block ads on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox using MacKeeper::
- Download and install MacKeeper.
- Open MacKeeper and click StopAd in the Privacy section.
- Click Open.
- You’ll see that StopAd is disabled for your browsers. If you have installed the extension for your browser, click the Enable button next to your browser’s name.
- A new window will open. Click Open Safari Preferences.
- Check the little boxes next to MacKeeper StopAd permissions.
- If you don’t have the extension, click the Install button.
Now whenever you are working on your Mac, you won’t be distracted by annoying ads.
How to Block Ads on Safari on Mac
Safari is a popular web browser among Mac users, but like many other browsers, it displays ads while browsing the internet. You can use any of the following methods to block Ads on Safari:
1. Use Browser Extension
Blocking ads on Safari on Mac using a browser extension is an effective way to eliminate annoying ads and pop-ups. Browser extensions are small software programs that add specific features or functionalities to your web browser. You can easily download and install them on your browser to block ads on Mac.
Here are the steps to block ads on Safari using browser extensions:
- Open Safari on your Mac.
- Go to the Safari menu in the screen’s top left corner and click Safari Extensions.
- In the Safari Extensions Gallery, search for an ad blockers extension like AdBlock or uBlock Origin.
- Once you find the extension you want, click the Install button.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking for confirmation to install the extension. Click Install again to proceed.
- After the installation, click the Open button to launch the extension.
- You can now customize the extension’s settings to your preference, such as allowing or blocking certain types of ads.
- Once you have configured the settings, close the Safari Extensions tab.
2. Customize Safari Settings
Customizing settings in Safari on Mac is one of the simplest ways to block ads on the browser. This method allows users to disable pop-ups and notifications, limit ad tracking, and block cookies from third-party sites, all contributing to a less intrusive browsing experience.
Here’s how to customise Safari settings to block ads on Mac:
- Open Safari on your Mac.
- Click Safari in the top menu bar and select Settings.
- Click the Websites tab.
- You’ll see a list of website categories on the left side of the screen. Click Pop-up Windows.
- Ensure the Block and Notify option is selected next to the websites’ names. It will stop pop-ups from appearing on any website you visit.
- Now, Safari will block ads on the selected websites after notifying you.
3. Use Reader Mode
Safari’s built-in Reader Mode provides a way to block ads on web pages by stripping out all the clutter and only displaying the main content. This can make for a cleaner and more focused reading experience without the distraction of ads and other unnecessary elements.
To use Reader Mode to block ads on Mac Safari, follow these steps:
- Open Safari and navigate to the webpage where you want to block ads.
- Look for the Reader Mode button in the Safari address bar. It will appear as a set of horizontal lines on the left side of the address bar.
- Click the Reader Mode button. It will switch the webpage to a simplified, ad-free view displaying only its main content.
- If you want to customize the appearance of the Reader Mode view, click the AA button in the address bar.
- To exit Reader Mode and return to the normal web page view, click the Reader Mode button again or press the Esc key on your keyboard.
How to Block Ads on Chrome on Mac
There are several ways to block ads on Google Chrome, one of the most popular web browsers. Some methods are similar to the methods for Safari. Still I have described them here again as Chrome settings are a bit different than Safari.
Here are two methods to block ads on Chrome on Mac:
1. Use a Browser Extension
Many ad-blocking extensions available for Chrome can help you block ads. Some popular examples include Adblock Plus, uBlock Origin, and AdGuard. These extensions work by analyzing the content of web pages and blocking ads as they are loaded.
Follow these steps to block ads on Mac using a browser extension on Chrome:
- Open the Chrome Web Store and search for an ad-blocking extension.
- Click the extension you want to use, then click the Add to Chrome button to install it.
- Once installed, the extension should automatically start blocking ads on web pages.
2. Use Chrome’s Built-in Ad Blocker
Chrome also has a built-in ad blocker that can block certain types of ads. This feature is not enabled by default, so you must turn it on in Chrome’s settings.
Here are the steps to block ads using Chrome’s built-in ad blocker:
- Open Chrome and click the three-dot icon in the top right corner of the browser.
- Click Settings > Privacy and Security section > Site settings.
- In Site settings, click Intrusive ads under Additional content settings.
- Select the Blocked on sites that tend to show intrusive ads (recommended) option to turn on the ad blocker.
How to Block Ads on Firefox on Mac
There are several ways to block ads on Firefox on Mac. You can choose the method that best suits your needs and preferences.
1. Using a Browser Extension
Browser extensions are add-ons that can be installed on Firefox to enhance its functionality. Many ad-blocking extensions are available for Firefox, such as AdBlock Plus, uBlock Origin, and AdGuard. These extensions work by blocking website ads by analyzing web pages’ content and removing the ads.
Follow these steps to block ads on Firefox:
- Open Firefox and click the three horizontal lines in the top right corner and select Add-ons.
- Search for the ad-blocker extension you want to install in the search bar and click Install.
- Once the extension is installed, it should automatically block web page ads.
2. Using Firefox’s Built-in Tracking Protection
Firefox has a built-in Tracking Protection feature that blocks known trackers and ads. This feature works by analyzing the content of web pages and removing the elements that track your activity across the web.
Here are the steps to block ads on Firefox:
- Open Firefox, click the three horizontal lines in the top right corner, and select Settings.
- Click Privacy & Security in the left-hand menu.
- Under the Enhanced Tracking Protection section, select Strict to block trackers and ads on all websites.
Blocking ads on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on Mac can significantly improve your browsing experience, increase your productivity, and protect your privacy. Here are some more tips that you can keep in mind for the future:
- Consider using a VPN on your Mac to encrypt your online activity and protect your data from prying eyes.
- Only download ad-blocking software from trusted sources, and always run a virus scan on your Mac before and after installing any new software.
- Keep your browser and ad blocker up-to-date to ensure maximum protection against ads.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can ad blockers improve my privacy on Mac?
Yes, ad blockers can improve your privacy on Mac by blocking tracking scripts and cookies that advertisers use to collect data about your online behavior. They can protect your personal information and browsing history from being tracked and used for targeted advertising.
Can I block specific types of ads, such as pop-ups or video ads?
Yes, you can block specific types of ads, such as pop-ups or video ads. Many ad blockers allow you to customize your settings and block specific types of ads. It can help you tailor your ad-blocking experience to your preferences.
Will blocking ads affect the functionality of websites or cause any issues?
Blocking ads may occasionally affect the layout or functionality of certain websites that rely heavily on ads. However, reputable ad blockers typically offer customizable settings, allowing you to whitelist specific websites to support them while still blocking intrusive ads.